Monday, January 19, 2004

A rainy afternoon.

I stopped by Kallang/Geylang river to admire the scenery this afternoon. Umbrella in hand, I was wondering, "what if I was an animal?" "Where would I be, out in the rain?" The need for food was always there... I saw a white bird - like a pelican, and a blue kingfisher, combing the muddy grey sands...

On the muddy sands by the Geylang river...
There I perch, with my feathers soaked in the cold rain.
I thrust my beak into the drainage water to taste it.
However bitter, salty, or full of human spit...


I taste fish!

I have spotted my prey, and however it tries to swim away...
It can never escape.
I shot a nervous glance at my rival nearby, another male of another species.
We would have to fight beak and claw over it.


I shrieked at him, "Go away!"
He said something similar, nowhere nicer,
and crept slyly nearer.
Argued we did, and so the fish escaped.

No comments: