Friday, January 02, 2004

Orientation Day.

I was late for school today... -_- HAHAHA... I took a taxi and the fee was $16.00 - by the way, it had travelled 22.9km! The journey took me 31 mins... I guess this was due to the careless usage of the expressways... haha... me and my wrong directions... from ECP to PIE to AYE! The uncle in the cab was unfamiliar with the route, and thus I was unable to respond to his queries... -_-'''''

I arrived in school around 8.20AM. I could finally enter the gates... It looks bigger inside. Haha... Prison camp! I was directed to the hall... where I found all the students seated. I asked around for Orientation Group 12 after searching for my name on the namelists.

After what seemed like forever, I sat down in the back and marked my attendance. I gazed around, searching for Jonathan - my only friend and school-mate in this place. A performance was put up by the student leaders... Which I thought was a bit *ahem!* "matured". Yeah... Some laughed while others stared in silence? I gave applause anyway. I mean it. I was also filling in the form for choosing subject combination. So I laughed at whatever I thought was funny.

It turned out that Jonathan had arrived in school early. He was seated right in front... We soon followed our OG Leader out of the hall, whom we discover is a very friendly and cheerful girl known as Sis. Yes, and everyone I met later on gave this place a glimmer of hope...

There was a long period of lecturing. The principal, Mrs Ong, extending a warm welcome (saying that there would be learning during these 3 mths)... Followed by the HODs, introducing their subject combinations with Arts, Science and Commerce...

Next on the list was the icebreaker... which is 'blow wind blow' and I was the only one who had taken the forfeit... yes, chicken dance and whatever... I tried my best to do so. But apparently, no one laughed. Sometimes I just wish I could disappear completely...

"That there, that's not me
I go where I please
I walk through walls
I float down the Liffey

I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here, I'm not here..."


- How To Disappear Completely. Radiohead, Kid A.

Hmm... These songs make you feel down and out... haha! Anyway... Break Time followed for an hour. The canteen was so !@# small! The lights and fans overhead were being switched on and off continuosly, as if they ran on a DC supply. The food was satisfactory. I ate fish, fish and rice for $1.50. Yeah, of course Jonathan regretted choosing the Malay food. The break followed a briefing by the OG Teacher... The Indian teacher wasn't friendly though. His hair was missing in the middle.

The scavenger hunt followed, causing me to contribute a pair of shoelaces, a bottle of liquid paper and a school badge... I almost lost my school badge in the process. There was some sort of "clapping activity" going on, yeah.

The worse part of the day came when everyone gathered for a mass dance. Yeah... you know, with a girl? I hate to say it, but I suck at dancing. Perhaps I was too tensed up. Perhaps I was tired. I just didn't want to screw up. This was probably the fourth girl I danced with in my life. I dunno how? Are there any good dancing tips? Yes, no, yes? How about: "let go"? Jonathan and another guy said I looked stressed. Sure, the girl complained about my sweaty palms... as always, when I am nervous. BOOHOO... I feel like a loser...

No comments: