Sunday, December 31, 2006

I had been very much looking forward to the evening yesterday. It was Wild Empire's Concert. And I recalled that I had 3 friends there: Ek Ngee, Zion, and Shan Yu. Though I did not realise until later, that I know Jason Yeoh from MI, and Ms Ong, who auditioned me previously in her acapella workshop @ TP. I realise that Ms Ong was also the conductor for NYJC... The threads of human relationships strewn around me.

It was an excellent performance that surpassed my expectations. It was my first time hearing them though. If thinking in terms of entertainment, it was very entertaining, with their acapella Christmas Carol session most refreshing with their upbeat clapping, movement and choreography. Definitely the work of Ms Ong, and maybe Ek Ngee.

I went with GK, and for most part of the show, he appeared unimpressed. He was impatient, so to speak. He wasn't in the mood, I thought. He wasn't even willing to enjoy / listen and criticise. I was only capable of the former, and not constructive critiscism. I think my listening is quite flawed. Why? The seasoned listeners come up with comments I did not expect (e.g. sopranos were out of breath because they sounded thin). But to me, it was all really fault-picking. Like pitching problems.. Nothing can be perfect. What is more important, would be that singers came up with a creative/ faithful rendition of the original music piece composed.

Try as I may. I did not hear any significant mistakes to compromise the quality of the songs. The context of some being sacred pieces me and GK obviously didn't enjoy.. But what can I say. Choir came from the church.

Some of the last chords signalling the end of the song sound really pleasant, and after that, I cannot remember the body of the song, or the content which was sung. I cannot make out the words in Loch Lomond, or that I wasn't paying attention.

In summary, this was what he said to me, "watching concert in the past had a lot of meaning. Now... no meaning."

No comments: