Sunday, December 17, 2006

Awkward

Just some musings..

It feels so awkward, singing in a room and picking out friendstrangers. Strangers in a sense that might have the potential to become best friends. And now Friends amongst strangers. We sang out the lyrics in the song, "Distant Land", though it was about the reunification of East and West Germany - start with me and you. Do we practise what we preach?

I think I am choosy over my friends. They must satisfy a personal criteria of having personal habits that I can accept. This kind of 'personal selection'. But if everyone were friends, how would the world around us function? And what kind of person would I be if I had all the friends under the sun. Would I be still the same person, with my unique habits and talents, or subjected to social homogeneity... etc.

But in a typical Singapore social setting like this, we adhere firmly to the norms of our culture. No one is loud. No one dares to stand out and rebel, for fear of being cast-aside, fear of being ridiculed.

Rant aside. I was facing a girl directly across the room, using her as a focal point of interest whenever my eyes strayed from the conductor. Yes. (what's her name?) Because she was pretty, so I also wonder if I stared too many times. Of course, attractiveness catches your eyes - but I know it's rude. The thing is, I am sorry in the possible event that my candid gazing might make her uncomfortable. But where else, what else should I do, but let my eyes wander, instead of staring at the floor, fixed on the conductor, or eyes closed?

Let your eyes wander.. Why not just keep them under control! XD

No comments: