Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Sea breeze

This morning, I was jogging along East Coast Beach... when I saw a beautiful girl. Haha! J/K.

Tired with plodding on, I chanced upon a spot on the beach that was heavily eroded by the waves. East Coast Park (Marine Parade) is a destructive beach. That's why it's so clean all the time - all the trash gets washed out to the sea. The gradient of Singapore beaches are steep (that's why surfing and surf boards are not applicable here), and that's why the eddies form below the water and draw sand, sort of undercutting our coast.

* Here's a free visualisation exercise =)
I saw a small round outcrop of green grass above the sand. It was supported by roots of the mangrove tree, like an island on its own, separated from the rest of the land. I ventured across the gap, to stand above it. The mangrove roots were protruding from the edges

As my heart rate slowed to normal, I listened to the rhythm of the crashing waves. The breeze soothed my feelings. The sunlight was warm and the weather was cool. What a view! I could see the ships docked far away, and the sides of the beach. A coconut rolled along the sand as the waves crashed around it.

I turned around to examine the beach. People had pitched small tents around this area. I saw a grandmother rise up from the nearest tent. I looked at the natural colours, of lines layering the layers of rock.

I stood there for 15 minutes, arms folded like Sir Stamford Raffles. Perspiration evapourated from my skin.

I tried my hand at recalling geography - so is it a sea breeze or land breeze? I determined which direction the wind was blowing - it was from the sea to the land. Hence it was a sea breeze.

(1) During the day, sunlight shines and land heats up faster than the sea.
(2) Hot air above the land rises directly (by conduction of heat) as land gets heated up, forming an area of low air pressure.
(3) Whereas seawater heats up slower (experiences underwater convection currents), and cooler air above the sea sinks, forming an area of high air pressure.
(4) Since air moves from an area of higher air pressure to an area of lower air pressure, wind blows from the sea to the land, just like an energy (pressure) gradient.

The above paragraph was for personal interest only, and for anyone who might want to know. Not show-off lah!

No comments: