Sunday, January 27, 2008

Personal 'z'

It's a week away from the Lunar New Year, but I ain't that excited, because my vocation in Naval Base security would have me miss out on two days of the holiday festival - the very much coveted New Year's Eve reunion dinner - and of seeing all my close relatives at the round table (which used to be quite close) until my Grandma passed away last march - unwittingly, I have turned away from them, exploring life independently through my own unbiased eyes - and here doing my time in NS.

I keep reminiscing, thinking as always, of the moments I was there, a formal distance away, from my respected role model and friend in music, and her timeless book recommendations, which solidify as her special collection in my mind. Kafka. Harry Potter. Haruki Murakami. The film, Cinema Paradiso. It is food for thought. Then out of respect for my own feelings, I often wonder aloud - why our friendship doesn't quite work out. Perhaps the problem lies with me, not her. I don't know how to get along with her mood. Without hearing from her much now and then, it leaves quite a lot of room for my self-doubt. Does she still care? Where once, she reassuringly convinced me of our friendship... I don't think we were ever friends by default. (Maybe from a cold and distant view, we were friends arisen from necessity. That we have both but met for a period of times, for business purposes in one of our recreational circles, and we spared each other a little kindness to facilitate our goals in recreation) But that's a cruel thought to say about her. Friends don't need each other. They won't leave their doors and windows open? At this juncture, I would damn myself for thinking so badly of a friend. well, I say that I would drop those damn thoughts now. and move on to something else.

The Straits Times columnist Sumiko Tan, engaged in a bout of self-talk in her personal column, that she was in her 30-40s and complains about the dreary nature of weekends, that being single made time pass away slowly. But she also comments on the perks of being single- meaning more time to read her favourite books, shopping at different shops, watch. I can empathise with that feeling. It's something I can anticipate ending up doing, and so I can think about what to do then, if I end up single for the rest of my life.

End of personal entry.

Songs to Check out:

Coldplay - Clocks (Avocado Blue mix)

"Rhythms Del Mundo

Now if the currently burning bossa nova rage has sent you craving for something more authentically Latino, then there is Rhythms Del Mundo. This is no bossa nova album. It is made up of Cuban music fused with a pop feel and faithful to its African origins. This is a collaborative effort from artists of various countries in aid of Artists Project Earth (APE) which lends support for natural disaster relief and climate change awareness. The artists involved support the album as a show of commitment to the music and the cause it endorses and those artists are mighty bit names.

The star-studded production features famous pop tracks like Clocks by Coldplay; Better Together by Jack Johnson; Dancing Shoes by Arctic Monkeys; One Step Too Far by Dido & Faithless; I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by Coco Freeman featuring U2; She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5; Modern Way by Kaiser Chefs; Fragilidad by Sting; The Dark of the Matinee by Coco & Franz Ferdinand; High and Dry by Lele & Radiohead all given new Afro-Cuban arrangements by the famous Buena Vista Social Club whose singers perform vocals in As Time Goes By by Ibrahim Ferrer and Killing Me Softly by Omara Portuondo."
Something I'd like to hear for the kick of it.

Regina Carter - This Can't Be Love (very jazzy, perky arrangement.)
Top Rocking - The Real New World (very interesting rap)
BUGZ_IN_THE_ATTIC - it don't work like that
UNITED_FUTURE_ORGANIZATIO OSUNLADE - LISTEN LOVE
Late Night Alumni - Seemingly Sleepy (trancy-trancy-dreamy dreemlike state. music plays with your subconcious... Zzz..)
GAVIN FRIDAY - Angel

No comments: