Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Christophe Willem

French Idol '06



Quand je serai grand, je serai Bee Gees
"When I grow up, I will be Bee Gees"
Ou bien pilote de formule 1 "Or a pilot in Formula 1"
En attendant je me déguise "In the meantime I'm a mere disguise"
C’est vrai que tous les costumes me vont bien "It's true that all my costumes take me far"
Le rouge le noir "The red black"
Le blues l’espoir "The blues hope"
Et moi "And I"

De toutes les couleurs j’aime en voir "Of all the colors I see"

C’est comme ça qu’est ce que j’y peux "That's the way I can be"
(Faudrait savoir ce que tu veux) "Should about what you want"

Oui "Yes"
Quand je serai grand ce sera facile "When I grow it will be easy"
Enfin je saurai qui je suis "I'll finally know who I am"
Mais En attendant je me défile "But I'm reading scrolls"
C’est vrai "It's true"
Je me dérobe et je me fuis "I stole and I"

Je pleurs, "I cry"
je ris, "I laugh"
J’ai peur, "I fear"
Envie, "Envy"
Je sais De toutes les couleurs, je vais en voir "I know all the colors, I will see"

A qui la faute ? "Who is to blame?"
Je suis l’un et l’autre "I am both"
Double je "I'm Double"
A qui la faute ? "Who is to blame?"
Je suis l’un et l’autre "I am both"

C’est comme ça qu’est ce que j’y peux "That's the way I can be"
(Faudrait savoir ce que tu veux) "Should about what you want"

Après tout qu’est ce que j’y peux "After all that is what I can"
(Faudrait savoir ce que tu veux) "Should about what you want"

Quand je serai grand qu’on se le dise
"When I grow up they will say"
Je serai vendeur dans les magasins "I will be selling in the stores"
En entendant, je me déguise "In the meantime I'll disguise"
En chantant dans ma salle de bain "By singing in my bathroom"

(Faudrait savoir ce que tu veux) "Should about what you want"
Quand je serai grand je serai dans le show biz… "When I grow up I will be in show biz"

Je sais, de toutes les couleurs j'aime en voir. "I know all the colors I'll see."
A qui la faute je suis l'un et l'autre "Whose fault I am both."
Double je "I'm Double"
...

Double je - Translated from lyrics with help from google translator.

I stumbled on this artist, Nouvelle Star a year ago. I like Willem's voice. Both facial features and voice quality remind me of Daniel Singh. I'm impressed cause I thought it was a girl singing initially. The strong beat in the song makes you wanna dance!




Well, from viewing this video, you can see a few french beauties as Willem dutifully and gracefully, dances his fingers on the piano keys. And it seems a little propaganda on French receptivity to their homegrown talent. In the last scene of Willem walking away, one muses, that he is simply another being living in a city of millions, and not any larger than life.

The alternate interpretation, incorporates a more sound understanding, but makes the song immoral. If you understood the lyrics, the song is about a voyeur, who peeps from a A room with a view (i.e. Chambre Avec Vue), at/from Bristol hotel. So although the lyrics are perverted, the french concept of open romanticism is compensated by the majestic string ensemble in the background. It seems so dreamy, this look at voyeurism. As he sings in the last line, "existantelle." Ah... to capture this moment of existence...?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I stumbled onto your blog - I'm a huge Christophe Willem fan and have started an English-language blog for his international fans. It's here if you'd like to come take a look!

www.christophewillem-international.blogspot.com/

Cheers,