Monday, March 26, 2007

The Observatory


I got autographs!



"A Far Cry From Here" Album Front & Back

Vivian signed first, followed by Ray, Leslie, Evan, Dharma and Victor... Thanks guys for the wonderful evening..

Setlist was as follows (as best as I can recall):

Acid Pills
Olives
Fall of man (defining the concept of dehumanisation in everyday lives)
Wonderkind (inspired by the Gospel of Judas)
Downwards is hellwards (their feeling towards Globalisation ; surprisingly pleased by bassline and interplay between guitars)
The sink (Viv's recorder solo was a bit short.. however it made sense in the album arrangement, the musical line was introduced in an earlier song)
Enlightense
I didn't see her
Deadheat (tribute to their favourite band, This Heat)
When I see a fire (Victor's song.. showcases his expert bass skills. )
The last grand fallible plan (inspired by stayers and quitters.)

Encore:
My Whole Life
Sea of doubts

I find it quite funny that I usually find the OBS easy-listening simply because I turn down the volume a lot. Perhaps I get to hear all the good lines, and tone down the supporting ones. Live bands are always loud and hard on the ear. Today, I've learnt I'm not getting the fully desired sound experience.

The tiny recorder solo at the back of The sink was quite a hard fit for my tastes. Victor's expansive basslines moved the songs: Downwards is hellwards, and The last grand fallible plan. I'm still listening to the album now.

Nevertheless the songs on the 2nd album clicked with me well. I'm just fresh from a round of listen back @ home with the lyrics on the 3rd album.. It was difficult to decipher this batch of lyrics... Why weren't there lyrics for the 2nd album? It was soo good!

Anyway, got handshakes and autographs from members of the band. I wasn't able to interact long with them, for I was muted for the moment, and left with few words but in awe and respect.. They just signed on my copy of A Far Cry From Here.. They were larger than life, and it was great to receive their signatures. It was quite inspiring for me to meet them in person.

2 comments:

the obs said...

hey zhaong or is it zhong?

remember you from the autograph signing... real nice to meet you. you dont like my recorder line? heheheh... it was something we thought was a little out of place... originally, it was a mellotron flute line but we did it with the recorder cos we wanted something a little sadder, less mellofluous.

we're not larger than life lah.. just regular folk with a lot to say but can only say through our songs. Blank Walls doesnt have lyrics cos we thought it would be nice to keep it 'blank'! a bit trite i know, in hindsight. but it does make you listen in a bit harder, doesnt it? i hope far cry grows on you. it was our desperate attempt to say something, to rally people together... common folk.. get the power back in our lives but we realise... it's just so easy to give in and let things be. i like your mendelssohn. i like the hebrides. it's for me.. the most beautiful mendelssohn work there is. hope to see you at our launch on 14th april. e-invite is on our website for download. dont work too hard. perhaps next time, we'll share more than just a handshake. sorry that autograph sessions like that are always so fleeting.
viv

I live in.. said...

hihi viv~

name goes both ways. john, zhong, bang-a-gong.. it all sounds quite similar, haha.

The Mendelssohn was sourced from Dan's Classical Music Page @ http://www.danshep.net/
I'm not a trained musician by the by, so it's really just my opinion @ the moment.. Anyway, I thought it has some musical significance or artistic effect in the piece? Tied in order with the other songs on the album, it sounds like a reminiscent echo of the previous songs. Yes. I identify most of them central to one theme, except: When I see a Fire, Fall of Man, and Wonderkind, can be standalones.

Blank Walls is a great listen without lyrics. I think it will be a good laugh if I see "WARNING: explicit lyrics" on the cover, all because of a single flying.. swear word. Thank goodness it has been overlooked. Friends of mine are also surprised by the sporty heat-sensitive front cover.

I look forward to the future performances. Hope the band can continue to express messages through the songs..