Tuesday, August 17, 2004

The Hell-gates are open...

Feel that chill up your spine? 'Seventh-month' is here!

(Author's Note: I wanted to post this yesterday, but I encountered problems accessing my blog. It seemed as if ghosts have taken over the internet... *o* "" )

Walk in...

It must be the smell of incense in the air. As the locals probably know, the 'seventh-month' on the Chinese Lunar Calendar is the Hungry Ghost's Festival, a custom followed by the chinese for many centuries.

Day 1
*Wah liao eh! I was walking home, when suddenly I saw a figure draped in a white cloth drifting pass me... Shit!!
(Just kidding... But those kids with 'heelys' (shoes with a rubber wheel at the heel) can emulate the 'floating' effect)

*Hokkien exclamation
:)

In reality, I was walking home - approaching my flat in the middle of the housing estate when - shit - a piece of burning incense came from nowhere, almost flew into my eye! I recovered from my initial shock and painfully, continued walking with increasing caution. When I left the common corridor, I saw a few traditional, tiny round biscuits (which I often indulged in as a child) being left out in the open, on the grass for the spirits. They were placed in a plastic wrapper beside the red, burning candles and the red wax. Thus I inferred that they must be offerings.

Unable to contain my amusement, I crossed over to the communal garden and fountain - smack - right in the centre of the housing estate. Birds (pigeons, mynas and crows) would often drink their fill there. I SAW a single DEAD FISH placed over the edge of the footpath, with nasty flies congregating around it. I was thinking that people have really gone too far with the economical upturn, treating our *good brothers, 'hao xiong di' so well this season.


Today is Day 2.

I had a (cold) choir today. I met April at the canteen. It feels great to have friends around to talk to, even once in a while. :)

No comments: