Monday, April 03, 2006

Music & Sign language

After a dreary morning of badminton (physical-training session), I watched Swing Girls (and a boy) at the TP library today, together with Kai Ling & Inky. We all agreed it was far better than School of Rock in terms of comedy (& standard). We were treated at the end to the wonderful solos of the cast. I can't believe my ears, they played so damn well.

It was comedy. I could have laughed throughout if I was seeing it myself. For eg. the lead character, Tomoko, sold her 'lovable' computer pasted with stickers all over the monitor, and her younger sister's playstation game, for a rusty bronze-looking second-hand sax; and the 2 brothers playing folk music who "got ditched but still loving" their ex-girlfriends from their already dismantled rock band (oh, and add a funny little ditty to go along too); And the matrix-like scene in the forest being chased by a wild boar, exhibiting stills of them taking various positions of flight, while 'A Wonderful World' (sung by Louis Armstrong) played in the background.

They played "Glenn Miller's - In the Mood", until it got stuck in my head. The piece was from lousy - without 'swing', or jazz rhythm - until the end. Typically describes how people generally learn music.

Besides, I actually signed up for some sign-language learning stuff for my own benefit. Free. What's the catch? You learn a song as a tribute to your school, and you perform the words out. Sign language is kinda cool. The instructors can do it so fast, and can communicate with a group of people with special needs.

The lyrics sound a bit forceful, not heartfelt enough. But it was sort of fun, learning the signs.

No comments: